Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Reading

Dear Addie,

You appear to be an early bibliophile.  We have been amazed by your long attention span for having books read to you.  Each night we collect a pile of favorite books, and we snuggle together on the floor and read for about a half hour.  You are very interested in the books and you impress Daddy and I by your ability to stay focused on them.  Reading to you is among my favorite activities with you.

Favorite books at the moment (as selected by mom and dad) are Goodnight Moon, Birds by Kevin Henkes, several books by Sandra Boynton (Pajama Time, Barnyard Dance...), Dr. Seuss books, and Mother Goose.  You don't get to do the selecting at the moment, but you seem content with our choices.



In your first weeks your pediatrician directed us to read anything to you, pointing out that she read her medical board review books to her son as a baby.  Thankfully, we have not subjected you to any legal materials, but I have been reading The Pesthouse (which, thanks to my mommy fatigue, I now am lucky to read a page a day!).  I started this book in your first weeks, reading it aloud to you.  Thus, one of your first ventures into reading began with the first sentence of that book, "They all died."  Yikes!  As you can see, we have progressed in our reading selections.


No comments:

Post a Comment